I used these spicy purple hull peas to make patties for a Houston, Texas late September seasonal plant-based burger!
Once you have cooked beans, if you have a food processor or blender on hand, these patties come together quite easily. It is also very easy to adjust this recipe to raise or lower the sweet or spicy level. Reduce the carrots if you don’t want a super sweet patty, and raise or lower the number of jalapeños to your desired spice level. I bought bulk carrots this time, but if you have carrots with the greens on them, I would throw some of those in the blender for some additional nutrients!
The beans in the bowl are a result of cooking 1 lb of fresh purple hull peas.
For my raw vegetables, I used 5 carrots, 5 small to medium bell peppers, and 8 jalapeños.
I started with about 400 g rice flour. I probably ended up adding a total of around 600 g when it was all said and done.
If you would like, here are Amazon links for the burger press and parchment rounds that I use!
And here is the final result for 12 beautiful patties that came out of this recipe!!! Please check out the video and recipe below, and let me know what you think!
Spicy Purple Hull Pea Patties
- Food processor or blender
- Mixing bowls
- Burger press, optional
- Parchment rounds, optional
- cooked purple hull peas 1 lb fresh beans
- 600 g brown rice flour
- 5 carrots medium
- 5 bell peppers small to medium
- 8 jalapeños red and/or green
- garlic powder to taste
- dried thyme to taste
- dried oregano to taste
- unrefined salt to taste
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Roughly chop raw vegetables and add to a food processor. Gently pulse several times until small, consistent chunks are formed.
- Season raw vegetables with garlic, thyme, oregano, salt, and pepper to your taste. Season brown rice flour with salt and pepper. You can add the other seasonings if you like.
- Using a large mason jar or other flat surface, smash the beans until about 20% of them are crushed. The consistency should be slightly creamy, with a lot of whole beans still intact.
- Add seasoned and mixed raw vegetables to the purple hull peas. Mix to combine.
- Add brown rice flour, starting with about half of the flour. Mix with a spoon. Add more of the flour and mix.
- When the mixture is too thick to mix with a spoon, use your hand. You are almost there. Add small amounts of rice flour until the mixture is barely sticking to your hand when you try to form a patty.
- Measure or eyeball 1/3 lb patties. Use a burger press or your hands to form patties. Cook on a cast iron skillet or griddle, or store in the fridge/freezer for later!
One thought on “Spicy Purple Hull Pea Patties”