Plant-Based Bacon Three Ways
Marinade and preparation of mushroom, rice paper, and tempeh bacon
Cast iron skillet
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or acceptable replacement
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup the real kind!
- 1/4 cup olive oil unrefined
- 1/2 tbsp miso paste there are soy free versions available
- 1/2 tbsp unrefined salt
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 cup mushrooms cremini, portobello, other meaty mushroom
- 2 sheets rice paper spring roll sheets
- 4 oz tempeh
Cut mushroom caps into 1/4" thickness. Coat and toss with 1/4 cup of marinade.
Bake in oven at 400 ºF for 15-20 minutes, until mushrooms are golden-brown crispy.
Rice Paper Bacon
Cut two sheets of rice paper into 1" strips.
Take two equal sized strips, line them up, and dip them into a bowl of water. They will stick together.Dip the combined piece into the marinade and lay flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Repeat with the rest of the rice paper strips. Place in oven at 400 ºF.
After 6 minutes, keep a close eye on the oven. When pieces look bubbly and crispy, remove them one at a time. Do not remove all pieces at once, their consistencies will vary and some may still be chewy.